Saturday 15 November 2008

Books Are A Bad Idea

On why entering an Indigo when there's a sale going on is a bad idea...

The number 1 reason is, I have an essay to write.
The number 2 reason is, I have a budget to keep.

I don't think there are any more reasons. Certainly, I don't need any more for it to be a very bad idea.

So I only bought three books.

1) Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
The movie is coming out and I obviously want to read the book (graphic novel) first. It promises to be smart and gritty and genre-exploring, and it's about superheroes. What more could I want? A lot, I suppose, but those will be more than sufficient.

2) The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H. P. Lovecraft
The truth is, it's about time I got around to this one. Lovecraft is one of the old masters of horror, and his creations have grown well beyond him. Heard of Cthulhu? Maybe. The Necronomicon? Likely. Those both began with Lovecraft, and I know that the big C at least will be revealed in the book of shorts I just purchased. If these live up to expectation, I shall stand at the borders of madness.

3) A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire
The next of the Wicked series, this one promises to examine war, animal rights, and the natures of prophecy, fate, and reputation. I have high hopes.

All of which threaten to engulf my essays entirely. Alas, alas!

Also, I just dropped $109.98 on advance tickets to see Quantum of Solace. I'll get most of it back, of course, from those who are going to see it with me tomorrow night. I'm excited!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin