Tuesday 17 June 2008

Pictures of insects

I thought I would open this with butterflies, since everyone loves butterflies. This one was quite "tame," and let me get very close.
This fellow (a tiger swallowtail) was out in the woods north of Fort McMurray.



The people in Alberta call these little fellas June bugs, but anyone who knows insects knows that this is not a June bug. Tarsands beetle is also a common name, but pine beetle or cedar sawyer are more accurate. Occasionally they bite, taking a chunk off your arm; that's only when they think you're a tree. It's fun to watch them fly, as their antennae poke way up and their bottoms (abdomen, if you prefer) hang down.

This is blurrier, but it allows you to see the length of the antennae.



This sphinx moth was in the stair well two years ago.



A bumblebee at work last year.
When I get my hands on more insect pictures, I will post them!
EDIT July 29, 2008:


This is an unfortunately blurry picture of a grasshopper. I tried to use my supermacro, but it, alas, focused behind him.

And this is a ladybug behind Drumheller.

EDIT September 13, 2008:

I have no idea what this guy is. He's awesome though. Pinery, last year.


EDIT 26 January 2009: a stick insect, a giant madagascar hissing cockaroach, and butterflies, from the Butterfly Conservatory in Cambridge.




EDIT: 4 June 2008; I think you call this a stonefly.



This is another tarsands beetle (see Wally the Bug above). He landed on the outside of the window, so I got some close-ups. Do you know what's cool about these guys (other than the length of their antennae)? They have pivoting necks. They can crane their head up to look around. The first picture captures this, I think.
Also, I should clean the window.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin