Friday 17 April 2009

Polygamy

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Polygamy is an issue which will be discussed at greater length soon enough. I'm not going to say it'll hit the public consciousness the way same-sex marriage did, but it will be big enough.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29239960/?GT1=43001

Wikipedia has a lot of literature on it if you're interested. I'm also remembering how Stephen Harper said that same-sex language will lead to polygamy. I thought it was hog-wash, but now time will tell if what he said was right. I wonder how much his having articulated that made polyamorist advocates aware that they could petition for the right to multiple spouses.

What do you guys think of this? Do the polygamists/polyamorists have a chance in Canada? The United States? On what grounds? And what do you think of the polyamorist relationships being described?

In related news, I've rented the first disc of Big Love, but haven't watched any yet.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin